Seth's Reviews > The Alloy of Law

The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson

May 08, 12

Mistborn: The Alloy of Law is a pleasantly enjoyable book that subverts some of fantasy's tropes.

I heard about The Alloy of Law because Patrick Rothfuss told me that it was awesome, both on his blog and on Goodreads. He has frequently written about Brandon Sanderson being his hero and/or nemesis, and since I take Patrick Rothfuss at his word, I immediately bought the book he recommended.

I recently finished brewing my first batch of beer with some friends. It tastes good and is eminently drinkable—by which I mean it was not burdened with an overabundance of flavor. It's good, it's tasty enough, and it went down very easily.

But books, like beers, can be both drinkable and flavorful. It's a rare combination, one that deserves noticing when it occurs.

Brandon Sanderson's books don't fall into this elusive category, however he does fall into the category of eminently drinkable. So "escapist fiction" this book may be, but I have read each and every book Sanderson has published. And seeing how I created an analogous beer, I suppose it's a little bit of the pot calling the kettle black.

If you are the type of person who has read the other books in this series, read The Alloy of Law. Otherwise read other things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Alloy of Law.