Victoria's Reviews > The Wine of Angels

The Wine of Angels by Phil Rickman

May 08, 12

bookshelves: books-in-a-series, mystery-thriller
Read from May 24 to 27, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

I have been curious about the Merrily Watkins series for quite some time. Unfortunately, this British series does not seem to have ever garnered Stateside popularity, so it is a bit difficult to get your hands on in the U.S. But I have been slowly accumulating the series over the past few years as I have seen it in used book stores. Now that I have acquired the first few books in order, I am finally ready to start reading it!

While this first volume was not as spooky or mysterious as I expected it to be, the solidly detailed setting and the fully fleshed, quite realistic characters more than exceeded any other expectations that I had. It seems like this very firm foundation will take the series onward to very interesting places. Many characters are introduced here, and I liked most of them - each one is carefully created and really comes to life. And though the plot was not as eerie as I expected, it remained unpredictable.

The only downside to the book (and perhaps why the series never took off for American audiences) lies with the pacing. The first three hundred pages or so moved quite slowly, but after that midway point was passed, the pace picked up exponentially. It started to almost move too quickly, and by the last page, I was definitely ready for the sequel. I truly enjoyed it, but it would be nice to see a more consistent pace in the remainder of the series.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wine of Angels.