~+-+Vanora+-+~'s Reviews > Whispers at Moonrise

Whispers at Moonrise by C.C. Hunter

May 08, 2012

liked it
Read from October 03 to 05, 2012

The review below assumes reader has read all books in Shadow Falls series up to Taken at Dusk. Spoilers might be unmarked. Read at your own risk.

Score: 3.5/5 stars

I wanted to give this a 4 stars but then thought better of it.

Here's why...

1) Councils, FRU and Mario gang...are they really a threat in the 1st place?
I was hoping with this being the 4th book, we will get a better look at the supernatural world outside Shadow Falls. There were lots of mentions about councils and FRU but without actually showing us what they are capable of. As such, the threats aren't imminent.

I was also disappointed in the lack of presence of Mario and gang in this novel. All of the sudden they are just gone from the scene. Perhaps they might resurface again in the sequel and last of Shadow Fall series, Chosen at Nightfall, but no sight of them at all in this book.

Then again, I have a feeling perhaps (view spoiler) is part of Mario gang. Somehow I have a bad feeling about this character but perhaps I'm reading too much into this.

2) Lucas/Derek messes up which allows Derek/Lucas to return as No. 1 choice for Kylie
This is a recurring theme in the Shadow Fall series and this is still the same in this book. Kylie doesn't choose. All she needs to do is for one to mess up and she will be liking the other more.

Hopefully Kylie will make up her mind and realize who she truly love more in Chosen at Nightfall instead of waiting for one to mess up big time and picking the other.

That's pretty much what I didn't like about this book.

Moving on to what I like about this book...

1) Relatable characters
While Kylie is the protagonist, I love we get to understand more about other characters that are important to her. Great characterisation allows me to care more about the characters besides Kylie and helps to make this series interesting and more compelling. I don't want to just know what Kylie is and who she will chose (Derek or Lucas) in the end, but rather, will Holiday and Burnett get together? Will Della let go of Lee and embrace the possibility of new relationship? Will Kylie truly forgive her stepfather for cheating?

The author doesn't portray the characters as perfect. Because seriously, we do make mistakes in real life. That's why the characters are so relatable and my heart goes out for them too while reading.

2) Satisfying hints of what Kylie is really means
Kylie's father revealed back in Taken at Dusk that she is a (view spoiler). While Kylie is lost on what that means, I'm not sure if it's done on purpose but readers like us are able to guess the true potential of Kylie's powers are through this word.

After 3 books, the guessing game resumes on what does being a (view spoiler) mean. Thankfully, we don't have to be kept in dark for another 3 books before the answer is revealed or I might actually throw this book against the wall in a fit.

Even though details are still kept from us, Kylie goes through situations where she uses her ever changing powers and that allowed us to gain a good idea on what she is capable of.

At least, in my opinion for us to wait for Chosen at Nightfall for all our questions to be solved.

3) The titles and covers for Shadow Falls series
Now that the title and covers for the last of Shadow Falls series, Chosen at Nightfall, is revealed, I can safely say I truly love the titles and covers.

I love how tightly connected they are to the story and how it actually forms a cycle from Night to Day then ending with Night again.

Quite a lot of YA books I have seen have either titles or covers that doesn't fit. However, the covers and titles for Shadow Falls series are actually related to what is happening in the books.

Kudos to the team who were in charge.

Now I can't wait to get my hands on book:Chosen at Nightfall|15745371] and hopefully it will be a worthy and satisfying read with great closure for Shadow Falls series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whispers at Moonrise.

10/03/2012 page 10
2.0% "In midst of remembering all the stuff that happened back in Taken at Dusk!"
10/03/2012 page 36
9.0% "This is interesting."
10/04/2012 page 36
9.0% "This is interesting."
10/04/2012 page 77
19.0% "Kylie...I think I'm starting to get the hang of the idea on what does it mean to be what her father said she is especially with her pinky finger doing the magic here."
10/04/2012 page 103
25.0% "Kylie...I think I'm starting to get the hang of the idea on what does it mean to be what her father said she is especially with her pinky finger doing the magic here."
show 1 hidden update…