Regina's Reviews > The Persistence of Memory

The Persistence of Memory by Jordan Castillo Price

May 18, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-uf, gender-bending, favorite-authors, favorites, favorite-series
Read from May 13 to 15, 2012

Jordan Castillo Price has done it again. It is no secret I am a huge fan of her Psycop series, my fanship is such that I am purposely holding back from reading the last published book in that series, GhosTV, until the next in the series is published. I am that fearful of being without a Jordan Castillo Price book in my favorite series. Well, I now have a new series of hers to follow. The Persistence of Memory, is a richly written story told from the first person point of view of the main character Daniel. Daniel is 45, single and living with his father, and he owns and runs a business with his father in the memory business. The memory business is where fantasy meets urban in the Mnevermind seriers.

Similar to Psycop, Price has constructed a storyline set in a world identical to ours with one small tweak. She is an expert at crafting believable and unique urban fantasy worlds. Maybe it is her incredibly constructed characters, but I think it has to do with how she weaves in her fantasy elements. The fantasy of the Mnevermind world is that technology has developed a new means of psychological escape called "Mnem". People plug into machines run at shops and experience situations they wish could happen. Myabe a person would like to experience a taboo love connection or just simple a love connection; maybe a person wants to confront their boss and vent all of their anger -- the memory escape allows this. The experiences are similar to dreams; the experience will not imprint on a person's permanent memory but the experience will effect a person's mood and general impressions of the world. People who have mnemed, come out of the experience remembering what happens, but like most dreams the experience fades after a few days or hours. Daniel is a "memory smith" and has the skill and degree to write dream packages but something odd happens while he is guiding a customer through a dream experience - he spots a man who interacts with him and not his customer. And that man is not written into the dream package. This man begins appearing and re-appearing in every memory dream sequence that Daniel assists customers with. There is no huge crisis or mystery to be solved, unlike other urban fantasy books -- the world will not end if Daniel is unable to figure out why this man keeps re-appearing. But, he is experiencing a personal crisis and that is what makes the book interesting.

The story starts off in a way that the readers are allowed to get to know Daniel and gradually know the people he interacts with on a daily basis - his aunt, his secretary, his father, and a co-worker. These characters are funny and add a lot to the storyline. The Persistence of Memory is not a plot driven book and the overall story arc is not completely evidence, but it is what I love -- it is character driven and a character centric story. I cannot put my finger on why I love Price's characters so much, but I do. They feel real, they feel like I know them or maybe I want to know them. I cannot wait to read the next in this series, so until then I will be searching out Price's other books that I haven't read yet.

To read this review and more, check out www.badassbookreviews.com
8 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Persistence of Memory.

05/13/2012
13.0% "I am loving this already. JCP has crazy talent!"
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Wendy F (new) - added it

Wendy F 5 stars!?

Regina The premise of the world is so unique and I really really love to be in the mind of her main characters. So I gave it 5 stars. It isn't as funny or witty as Psycop, but it is still funny and witty. And the characters are not as squeezable in terms of "I love X character" as in Psycop, but they are really interesting and fully developed. I just love the way she writes.

message 3: by Galla (new) - added it

Galla Excellent review, Regina! This one wasn't on my radar, but it is now. I like the idea of a more personal crisis driving the action. I get a little tired of protagonists running around saving the world sometimes. ;)

Regina Thanks Galla. JCP writes character stories really well and I relate to them so easily.