Jessie Potts's Reviews > Under a Vampire Moon

Under a Vampire Moon by Lynsay Sands

May 15, 12

bookshelves: paranormal, romance, vampire
Read in May, 2012

Under a Vampire Moon is Lynsay Sands' 16th Argeneau vampire book! I remember back in 2005 when I first picked up A Quick Bite (book one) and was instantly hooked by her humor, wit and swoon-worthy heroes.

Under a Vampire Moon combines Sands' hilarious writing style with reluctant hero Christian Notte. Christian's family is bound and determined to help him win his life mate, Carolyn. Unfortunately, their help seems to be doing … well, something, because it included telling Carolyn that Christian isn't into women to get her to relax around him and get to know him. Add to that the fact that Carolyn is divorced and is about 20 years older than Christian looks (vampire genes!) and they all have their work cut out for them
The first of many lies (Christian being gay, of course) lands Christian and his family in a series of humorous misunderstandings and situations. Carolyn's reaction to finding out the lies is a bit far-fetched. She had just come out of a drawn-out divorce with her cheating, lying ex, after all. But, then again, being an immortal who looks 25 is a bit different than someone marrying you for your money.
What I love about this book is that it's based on humor, which is what I feel the Argeneau books are based on. Sands' Rouge Hunter novels (also Argeneau books) aren't as funny and have a bit more severity to them. Under a Vampire Moon definitely swung to the amusing side, and I was glad I picked it up.

A lot of contemporary romance authors write heroines who have flaws (though I am not saying age is a flaw!), and I love the way Sands worked with Carolyn and Christian's perceived age difference. It wasn't overly mentioned or pushed past too quickly. I felt comfortable with it, while not being constantly knocked on the head about it.

Now on to what everyone really wants to know: the steam! Vampires are, of course, sexy as sin. Then you have a 500+-year-old vampire in a 25-year-old body? You know where this is going. Carolyn herself is more worldly than a young heroine, and the two have enough attraction to cause a small earthquake. The bedroom scenes are well-done once Carolyn fully lets go, and they only serve to enhance, not take over, the plot.
If you love vampires, misunderstandings, true love and great secondary characters, I highly recommend starting the Argeneau series. This book can be read as a stand-alone, but you will enjoy it so much more if you start from the beginning.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under a Vampire Moon.