Ashleycarolhall O'Toole's Reviews > The Woman Who Wasn't There: The True Story of an Incredible Deception

The Woman Who Wasn't There by Robin Gaby Fisher

May 08, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I think when you have a subject like this its hard to say that you liked the book....
I have never heard about this story and it popped up on the library page as new books. I have always liked true crime stories and it seemed like a good true crime title...it goes way beyond that!

This woman lied for a number of years that she was in the 2nd tower collapse of the WTC. It is so weird that she claimed to be in that disaster...and even more so that she helped her fellow survivors with starting groups and working to get them considered as the "Living Victims" with benefits to be at Ground Zero and insurance issues.

Her story had a fiance in the first tower, a man who gave her his wed ring to get to his wife, a pedestrian savior and a firefighter savior. It seems so unbelievable that her story wouldn't be ousted for more than 6 years, but finally it was...
and she didn't seem to realize how wrong it was!

It was a quick read, but an emotional one. Again I don't understand how a grown woman...a little older than I am...could live a lie, multiple lies like she did!

I read this book in about 8 hours...it was definitely compelling. I hope the people that she affected have found peace. Because a lot of them said her treachery was like terrorism all over again or the death of a good friend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman Who Wasn't There.