Jil's Reviews > The Clean House and Other Plays

The Clean House and Other Plays by Sarah Ruhl

F 50x66
Sep 15, 08

bookshelves: school, play
Recommended for: daydreamers, make believers
Read in September, 2008

The Clean House was assigned for my 21st Century American Drama class. I liked it enough to read the rest of the plays in this collection.

I am at once irritated by and attracted to Ruhl's style of playwriting. She is precious, picky, and unreasonable (especially in her stage directions - an actual horse in Late: A Cowboy Song?! A house both white and human in The Clean House?). And to be sure, her charm wore off by the end of this collection; I found Eurydice positively unpalatable - too abstract, too quaint.

But I still like The Clean House. I think I can attribute some of this like to the importance of humor and joke-telling to the plot, to the fact that Matilde is Brazilian and Ana is Argentine (because I have a love affair with South America), to how fast and easy this was to read. And, of course, that ultimate of ultimates when it comes to reading: there were many times when I sat back in my chair and thought about what I had just read, thought about how it related to me and people I know.

From Melancholy Play:

Music a cause.
Love--a cause.

Well. That's a problem.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Clean House and Other Plays.