Amanda's Reviews > Catch of the Day

F 50x66
May 08, 12

bookshelves: romance
Read in May, 2012

I stepped out of my usual historical romance reading, and ordered this as a Barns & Noble price match. After all, who can resist the cute puppy on the cover? I was disappointed on several levels of this book. First, the main character was in love with a priest for much of the book. There was even a reference to "The Thornbirds". I know the set up was so that the main character could have something to move on with, but well, that plot didn't work for me. Second, the hero was angsty. While I love a good silent type that really doesn't know what to do with the heroine, I thought he went too far. There was one scene where the heroine brought the hero dinner. He returned all of her food, and I really didn't get a good explanation as to why. There are vague references throughout the book that give us glimpses of the hero, but we really don't "see him" until the last page. Also, the heroine carries the dialoge because the hero is a silent type. The silent type goes too far this time, and the hero doesn't really speak for himself until the last page or two. I really would have like to see the heroine push him, or both of them, to open up more to each other. I think that would have made the story a little more believable toward the end. While both were likable, I just didn't think that they would end up together after the mistakes each of them made. I need to put in a word about sub-plots. The secondary characters are great, there was just too much "Other People's" drama that centered around the main characters. Finally, the puppy of the cover doesn't show up until the end. That was disappointing, as I was prepared for puppy mayhem to strike in the middle of the drama. I'm not sure that I will read another book by this author, however, the writing was clear, there was great dialoge between the siblings. While the drama got a little thick in places, Higgins has great potential.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Catch of the Day.