S.E.'s Reviews > On the Island

On the Island by Tracey Garvis-Graves

On the Island is the story of Anna, a thirty-year-old tutor and teacher, and T.J., a sixteen-year-old recovering from a battle with cancer. Anna is hired on as his tutor for the summer with the family on a tropical island. On the way the seaplane carrying T.J. and Anna goes down on the final leg of their trip to the summer home. T.J. and Anna wash up on the shore of a deserted island and after no real signs of rescue, they are forced to confront the reality of living on the island and surviving.

The story covers the day to day terrors/monotony of being totally secluded in a dangerous place. T.J., no stranger to having to grow up quickly, is once again learning to fight for his survival in new ways. He and Anna look out for one another and as the years pass their relationship inevitably changes.

I don't want to write any spoilers, so I'll just say that I was hooked. Some laugh-out-loud moments also helped lighten the heavier parts.

This was an excellent read, very well written and engaging. It's also a great "What if I were in their shoes?" type of story. I definitely recommend it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Island.