Kat (Kindred Dreamheart)'s Reviews > Straight to Hell

Straight to Hell by Michelle Scott

May 28, 2012

bookshelves: e-reader, blog-tour, blog-review
Read from May 11 to 12, 2012

I was given a free copy of this book on it's blog tour for an honest review.

In book one of the Lilith Straight series; we are introduced to the main character. Narrated by Lil in a very candid no bars held funny sort of way. Here are two of my favorite lines:
· “The woman you always wanted to be.”
· “Married to someone better looking than your husband, and his salary climbed into figures so high that you’d have to be married to six men before their incomes equaled his.”
She goes on to talk about her cars, her home, her daughter’s prestigious education, celebrity parties and socialite status. Yet all in the same breathe her tune changes because within the span of a year this snotty diva is brought down to Earth to live like less than a commoner. She lives on a substitute teacher’s salary in a 2-BR shabby townhome with her unemployed step sister, unofficially adopted delinquent ex niece-in-law, and daughter. Just when she thinks things can’t get worst, her free loading step sister moves in her psychic friend/love interest. And that’s only covers 10% of chapter one. The real fun begins when Lilith takes an unfortunate trip to the hot zone. This story literally took me on a ride I will NEVER forget. The only complaint I couldn’t get over was “ALIMONY”! This would have been so much more believable if she had something to show for the lost of her elaborate lifestyle of the rich and famous courtesy of her penny pinching ex. Instead, it was kind of painful to watch her struggles and not have that little common sense voice shouting it in my head. After Lil’s conversion into the supernatural realm and the new characters that came with it were very entertaining as well. It was surprising to see the author incorporate morals along with depicting Lil’s inner battle without being preachy. The only thing keeping me from rating this as a five or higher is the unfair divorce settlement and the ending. I really held out hope for a different ending.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Straight to Hell.

05/11/2012
4.0% "This has a funny and upbeat start! #NowReading"
05/11/2012
20.0% "this is really funny..."
05/12/2012
61.0% "OMG, *SMH* this lady's family is a complete nightmare. *shivers*"