Tracie's Reviews > A Death on the Wolf

May 07, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: ya, coming-of-age, fiction
Read from May 07 to June 04, 2012

A flawed but enjoyable coming of age story. The writing is can be clumsy and overly descriptive - a good editor would have really helped. A few of the good characters - especially Nelson's first love, Mary Alice, and his father - are a little too perfect. Mr. Gody's Good Man status almost reaches an Atticus Finch kind of level, only without the nuances of Harper Lee's protrayal of the ultimate good father. And the friendship between Nelson and Frankie, which supposedly reached back to their early childhood, didn't ring true to me - given the time and place, I could buy that he might not have guessed Frankie's secret, but I couldn't get past his total ignorance of Frankie's father's drinking problem and abuse of his family. And in the end, things wrap up a little too neatly.

B I did enjoy Nelson's story, in large part because Nelson is such a real, believable and fully realized main character. I do think he would have struggled a bit more to become comfortable with Frankie's secret, but to me he really read as a teenaged boy, a good, responsible kid who wants to do the right thing and is bewildered by chaos that unexpectedly swirls around him the summer he turns 16.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Death on the Wolf.

08/15/2016 marked as: read