Ron's Reviews > The Wind in the Willows

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

May 12, 14

bookshelves: fantasy, general-fiction, young
Read in November, 2008

They don't write books like The Wind in the Willows anymore.

Today's books for children are sly rhymes, action and social engineering. Wind belongs to an older, more innocent time when even accomplished men such as Kenneth Grahame, A. A. Milne and J. R. R. Tolkien invented stories for their children.

Stories which over the years became classics of literature.
Wind isn't a fairy tale so much as it's life told for those who will inherit it. Told by those who love the inheritors.

Even if you've read it before—especially if you've seen Disney's Bowlderized revision—read it again. Pause along the way to consider the world Grahmane portrays. This is England; this is childhood; this is life as we remember it, or wish it was.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Wind in the Willows.

Anne Nikoline Beautiful review. I couldn't agree more.

Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) No, sadly, they don't write books like this anymore. I wish to heaven they did. But we are told "kids today don't want books like that". Perhaps because their parents didn't give them the chance.

Michael I read this book about once every couple of years or so. Always enjoyable - never disappoints.

Have given copies to my children and grandchildren. I'm not sure they feel the same.