Martin L. Cahn's Reviews > The Mageborn Traitor

The Mageborn Traitor by Melanie Rawn

May 16, 2012

Read from May 07 to 16, 2012

An excellent followup to the first book, but very plainly the middle of a trilogy. I continue to enjoy Rawn's creation of a matriarchal society in a fantasy setting. It's unfortunate Rawn's never written the third book. The characters are so rich and the overarching plot unresolved that readers deservedly have begged for completion. On the good side, both books are still complete stories unto themselves, with satisfactory if not fully happy endings in both cases.

SPOILERS:

The only two quibbles are these: first, and least spoilery, is that the question if Lenfell's origins never comes up in this second volume. Readers know Lenfell stands for Land Fall and that the Mageborn either migrated from another planet or another dimension. I don't know why the clues to this aren't dealt with from the first book. It's almost as if Rawn just cast that aside.

Secondly -- and a HUGE SPOILER.....

Collan's mostly off-screen death (or is he?) near the end of the book shows that he has learned about his true self, the Wards wiped away, but doesn't tell/show the reader what that origin is. I wonder if that would have been revealed in the third book somehow, even if he is dead. Not to mention, he's one of the most Han Solo-cum-minstrel type characters I've ever seen in fantasy and I'm gonna miss him.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mageborn Traitor.

05/07/2012 page 12
2.0% ""Ryka Court seemed more populous than ever...""
05/14/2012 page 445
73.0% "The Council regularly divided itself into thirds for discussion of regional matters."