Claire's Reviews > Blue Like Jazz: Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality

Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller

31973
Mar 19, 07

bookshelves: poetry-essays-nonfiction, my-happy-books, top-25-of-all-time, this-is-my-catholicism, five-stars
Recommended for: Intelligent, Witty, Sassy Christians; Northeast Portlanders

I adore this book. There is a very good reason why this is the best-selling book in the Religion and Philosophy room of Powells Books in Portland (the world's largest independent bookstore); it is the most accessible, human, funny, and compelling "religious book" I've ever read (and I've read many). It is much less like a personal spirituality manual than it is a book of quirky essays by someone who happens to be deeply spiritual and learned, through the ups and downs of his life, how his faith was as much a part of his everyday life as breathing and sleeping.

I also love this book because it was written in Portland, and the house where the author lived turns out to be right across the street from my church. (By the big gold Joan of Arc statue, if you're a Portlander.) And he dedicated the book to all the coffeeshops and bars in Portland where he wrote it, which I thought was really cool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Like Jazz.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Evan I liked this book-- thank you, Claire, for physically forcing me to read it. I think I understand your personal faith better now, and it has given me a list of things to discuss with you.

Consider yourself warned . . . .

Claire I'm so glad you liked it! I knew you would, but I knew you would never seek it out on your own. Aren't the illustrated children's stories hilarious? I loved that part. And I love how honest it is. It's totally one of my all-time faves and I'm SO glad you liked it!

Barbara Escher I liked it a lot too and have given copies to friends. The "Sassy Christians" description is apt.