Loryn's Reviews > Drums of Autumn

Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon

So much to say about this book. Firstly, any book written by Gabaldon that has Jamie in it, I will read, regardless of the frustration other characters bring me. He is the perfect fictional hero and probably my favorite fictional character, ever. He's that lovely, stand up, honorable man that every Girl dreams of; probably 'cause they're only found in books! ;) My personal major problem with this book, though this has nothing to do with flaws of he book, is that Jamie is now 40-something. Not that it is bad (rock on, you fellow 40-something's out there!) but it was much more enjoyable when he was 20-something. Now he is a dad, and grandpa--- which is all lovely and well but causes confusion in my brain. He will always be about 25 in my mind and that is just that. Can't wait for the next 4 books when he reaches even higher in age. Yipes! Anyways. As for the story, it was well done. I enjoyed the evolution of other characters in he story, namely Ian and Fergus. Their relationship with Jamie and Claire and their respective families/etc was well thought out and I looked forward to hearing about them. Now Brianna and Roger on the other hand... I liked them at first, it intrigued me as to their relationship. I even felt sorry for poor Roger. But then then went back in time to see her parents, and it was a downhill fall from there on. Brianna, the little thing, goes from strong, heartfelt moments such as meeting her "Da" for the first time, to spoiled 5 year old brat who blamed him for EVERYTHING and makes her mom feel guilty about it. She went from 0-irritating very quickly. And I'll admit, I'm biased-- Jamie is the man and I will dislike anyone who messes with him. He is a good stinkin honorable EIGHTEENTH CENTURY MAN who, yes, is going to want to defend his darn daughters honor whether she thinks it is appropriate or not. And then icky Roger. These two just didn't understand then went backwards 200 years, and suffered for it. He gets beat up by his girlfriends dad and cousin, who thought he was a rapist, and THEY'RE the bad guys. These two "bad guys" rescue him from scary Indians (excuse me, Native Americans) and Ian sacrifices his life for HIM and they're still the bad guys. Roger finds out Brianna is pregnant, but it's either his OR this rapist's child, and he isn't man enough to handle the other possibility so it's THEIR fault. I don't care if it's a shock, be a freaking man and console your girlfriend or "wife" as you so claimed once your head was sewn back on straight. I just can do without either of them. Get Ian back, and live happily ever after on Frasers ridge with Claire and Jamie and Ian and Fergus&fam. Or have another kid or something. Yours' stinks. Jamie & Claire forever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drums of Autumn.

Quotes Loryn Liked

Diana Gabaldon
“He turned his head to look full at me, his hair fire-struck with the setting sun, face dark in silhouette. "Twenty-four years ago today, I married ye, Sassenach," he said softly. "I hope ye willna have cause yet to regret it." -Jamie Fraser”

Diana Gabaldon
“He shook his head and squeezed my hand tight. "You are my courage, as I am your conscience," he whispered, "You are my heart-- I am your compassion. We are neither of us whole, alone. Do ye not know that, Sassenach?" --Jamie”

Diana Gabaldon
“And when my body shall cease, my soul will still be yours, Claire--- I swear by my hope of heaven, I will not be parted from you. --Jamie”

05/07/2012 page 18
2.0% "Seriously, Jamie, it's SO good to be back. I missed you so."
05/09/2012 page 18
2.0% "I love how having read 18 pages of this massive book barely gets me a weee little sliver of dark grey on the progress chart! Hahah"
12/09/2012 page 121
11.0% "I thought I was going to totally eat up and love this book that includes three Christmas stories. And for the most part, I do-- It's heartwarming and sweet. But it's really hard to get in the Christmas spirit and really get lost in the stories about snow and winter when it's 80 degrees outside. Kind of like reading about Christmas in summer. I finished the first one and it's really good." 1 comment
04/15/2013 "Missed you, Jamie. I am ready to tackle this massive, 8lb book of yours. And I think I have finally gotten over the fact that you aged 20 years since the last book (though in my mind you will always look like a 22 year old, through the rest of this series, just so we're clear). Here's to you and the already old Claire!" 1 comment
04/16/2013 page 52
5.0% "I feel like I read half a book, and a bazillion things happened, yet I only made it like 30 pages. Oh, the joys of this lovely series!"
04/17/2013 page 104
10.0% "Slowly but surely making my way through this lovely book. The only reason why I am not mad at myself for not reading this earlier is because I know I have 6 more books to enjoy longer :)"
04/19/2013 page 200
19.0% "I am so far doing quite well pretending that Jamie is still 22 (ok maybe we will give him like 26 for it being the 4th book and all), up until Jamie blurts out that they have been married for twenty four years and that he is "five and forty". Dude... Jamie.... Can we cease that kind of talk? You will never reach forty. But seriously, how old will he be in the last book?? They span so many years!"
04/24/2013 page 345
34.0% "Now that I'm thoroughly invested in the story, even the parts with Brianna (poor Roger! My goodness), I find myself wondering what the heck the meat of the story will be. I feel like they've already encountered and dealt with their deal of problems. The only consolation is that I know Jamie has like 4 more books to go... Otherwise I'd be convinced he was going to die."
04/26/2013 page 441
43.0% "Making progress!!! Yay!!"
05/06/2013 page 591
58.0% "Still love this. I do. But it's been all Brianna/Roger stuff.. And it's just not the same. Though I loved the Brianna meets Jamie moment.. Pretty beautiful! But let's get back to Jamie and Claire, please and thanks!"
05/09/2013 page 715
70.0% "I am so wickedly defensive of anything and everything Jamie Fraser does. So when his brat of a daughter is all mean to him and says all this yucky stuff, I just want her to go back away from him and let the books be about jut Jamie and Claire again. Thanks!"
05/12/2013 page 860
97.0% "I am so painstakingly close! So much happened in the past 20 pages.. And while it was very exciting I just haven't grasped on to the Brianna plot." 2 comments
05/12/2013 marked as: read
show 6 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicholle (new)

Nicholle Blaine I enjoy your in depth reviews. Booooo old Jamie.