K's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

Feb 23, 13

bookshelves: 5-star-favorites, action-adventure, anti-hero, character-drama, dark, epic, m-for-mature
Read from September 26, 2012 to February 23, 2013

Despite the absence of some major (and favorite) character viewpoints, I loved this novel. I think I loved it better than the last one. The viewpoints of the women really shine, Cersei in particular, and offer lots to compare and digest. The character arcs are fascinating. For a detailed overview (spoilers) go here.

I also really appreciated the moments of goodness that peek through in this book. It felt like a weight off my shoulders, or perhaps a counterbalance, to see some small acts of kindness making a difference - without being thwarted or backstabbed or yanked out from under you. To see characters who, despite suffering just as badly as the villains, refuse to give into their dark sides. It's a balance that I think was missing from some of the earlier books. Thats not to say this book is full of fluffy bunny heroes. It's not. I suppose what I'm getting at is that, to me at least, the tone is much less political and much more psychological, and I welcomed the chance to see the good intentions behind some of the ordinary actions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.