Lois's Reviews > Asleep

Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto

Sep 10, 2008

Recommended to Lois by: bookray on bookcrossing.com
Recommended for: anyone interested in Japanese culture,dreamy fiction lovers
Read in December, 2007 , read count: 1

How could a book about sleep be so interesting? Asleep, by Banana Yoshimoto, is one of the best books I have ever read. Her writing style is a marvel. Reading Asleep was an experience the like of which I never before had. I plan to purchase this and every one of her other books, something I have never done before with any writer.

Asleep contains three novellas all dealing not only with sleep and the other side of that coin, insomnia, but sleep as a border between dreams and reality, between life and death. What the stories are about does not matter so much as the vehicle of prose that carries the characters and the reader along on what truly feels like a literary cloud. Usually, in a book of novellas, one will stand out as your favorite. All the stories here are equally good. The very end of the last story wraps the theme up to a positive, upbeat close.

The book is of course translated from Japanese, but the character's stories, all told in first-person, contain universal feelings and emotions. Yoshimoto wends her pen so deftly that the book has an emotional healing quality.

I recommend reading this book when you are drowsy and about two hours away from sleeping. If that is not possible, at least be very relaxed with no interruptions if possible. Let her take you to the edge.

Ten stars for this book; highly recommended. Sweet dreams!

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Asleep.