Dawn's Reviews > Heartless

Heartless by Gail Carriger

Jan 06, 14

bookshelves: steampunk, fantasy
Read from January 02 to 06, 2014 — I own a copy

The fourth in the series, and I'm still enjoying it. I do have moments where I confuse the rules of this steampunk London with those of The Iron Wyrm Affair, specifically regarding the Queen and Brittania.

Anyhow, I still enjoy the style of Gail Carriger quite a bit, la. I still quite enjoy the loving marriage of Alexia & Connell. All of the secondary characters (Lord Akeldama, Ivy, Madame Genevieve Lefoux, the Countess Nadasdy, Floote, Professor Lyall, Biffy and more) are a joy.

The plotline, however, was... lacking. There was a rather OBVIOUS misunderstanding early that I was like 'dude, Alexia and these other are NORMALLY quite smart but being dumb'. Again a large portion of the plot being advanced (much like Changeless) depends on characters NOT talking to each other and taking things to an extreme. And the ending, again, was too neat.

I struggle since I enjoy the characters and writing so very much, but am utterly bored by the plot.

(view spoiler)

I will likely read the final book in the series (which is now BACK on hold as I didn't finish this on time) but I am not sure that I will continue to read from this author given the plotting errors.

But the love story (And I do ADORE a series with a married couple who respect and love each, see also Ilona Andrews's Kate Daniels series) and the language and turns of phrase are wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heartless.

01/06/2014 marked as: read