Janet's Reviews > Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Banned books:

Are you there God, its me, Margaret
Huckleberry Finn
Heather has two Mommies

Why are people wasting their time on those well meaning books when Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle is still out there on shelves, unchallenged, messing with people's heads?! I read this odd little book when I was about eight and STILL have recurring nightmares about The Radish Cure. I just reread it today, trying to vanquish my fears, and now I'm afraid to go to sleep.

I will not go into details about The Radish Cure except to say that to this day the sight of mud on my skin freaks me out and I have a deep distrust of roots.

Bring on The Satanic Verses, but keep that Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle away from me!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Liz (new)

Liz I read Mrs. Piggle Wiggle as a girl, read it to my children. Still think about the radish cure if I don't want to wash my hair!!!!!!
Liz

Jenne I'm sorry you were traumatized, Janet, but I LOVED Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle.
I liked her upside-down house, and all the little kits she had for the parents!
And she had a horse named Trotsky, which I now think is amusing.

message 3: by Res (new)

Res I adored these books as a kid -- they made me laugh until I got hiccups -- but as a parent reading them to my own kid, I noticed how perfectly useless all the parents were. "Well. Our kid says she won't take a bath. I can think of absolutely nothing we could do about that. How about you, hon? Maybe some woman we've never met will fix it while we have another martini."

Janet And her solution is wait until she is caked with dirt and then plant radishes on her. Which grow on her. And then THEY EAT THE RADISHES! Why am I the only person freaked out by that?

I think I need that martini. And I don't even like martinis.

Jenne I don't know, I think it sounds kind of awesome. Like your own portable salad bar.

message 6: by Emma (new)

Emma Well you know how in the book their is something like the won't pick-up-toys cure, and the answer-backer cure, well I have read the slow eater tiny bite taker cure, and I really think that it is a good example for kids to follow. Because some kids really DO take little bites when it breakfast, lunch, and even dinner. And sometimes my brother will only take a few bites of his dinner and then he will say he is full, just to go play video games. And sometimes I can be a slow eater tiny bite taker!