Kasa Cotugno's Reviews > Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season

Faithful by Stewart O'Nan

May 11, 12

bookshelves: subject-sports-baseball, genre-biography-memoir, audio
Read from May 07 to 10, 2012

This is a book for fans by fans, and admirers of these two writers will be amazed that they had anything else to do in 2004 besides obsess over their team. And you couldn't make this up -- the year they are commissioned to write a double diary chronicling their lives as woebegone Red Sox fans, the impossible happens and the Sox go on to take the series. Not news to anyone with even a rudimentary interest in the game. Knowing the ending doesn't matter here; what is important is the day by day filtering of statistics and facts. These two guys are A List authors, and while I don't read King as a rule, I read everything Onan puts out. The two voices, alternating, give different slants to the events as they unspool, but what results is a cohesive life of a baseball fan during the season. While my allegiance is for a different team in a different league on a different coast, I feel the excitement at winning, the outrage of bad calls by the umpire, and the roller coaster ride of a season that starts out with everything possible and ends abruptly in the fall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faithful.