Michael's Reviews > War with the Newts

M_50x66
Sep 10, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in June, 2008

I don't think I can explain this book very well but I will try. It's about a species of intelligent newts that are discovered in the pacific ocean. These newts can walk on two legs and are about four feet tall. After being discovered, they are used in industrial projects around the world, building ports and canals and even new continents, driving humanity into a new age of prosperity.
Such a prosperity is short lived as, like the Golem, these tools of mankind become the germ of it's destruction.
Did that make any sense?

Though it was written in the interwar years, when reading this book I couldn't help seeing the newts as being an allegory for global warming. I'd like to quote a passage, "What can I do? It's what people wanted; they all wanted to have Newts, commerce wanted them, and industry and engineering, the statesman wanted them and the military gentleman did... ...It's enough to make you want to scream, looking back at it now. Scream and raise your hands as a man might when he sees a train running on to the wrong track".

You should read this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read War with the Newts.