Lauren's Reviews > Always Running

F 50x66
May 07, 2012

liked it
Read in May, 2012

I liked Always Running by Luis J. Rodriguez. This book discussed a lot of facts about gangs, violence, and rape that actually happened in Los Angeles. I love how this book informed me on how gangs actually formed and worked. Since Luis Rodriguez was in a gang for most of his childhood, he was able to describe in detail how he was accepted into gangs and why he chose to be in gangs. Of course, with gangs comes violence and rape. Luis witnessed many killings and beatings during his life. He was also one who got beat not only from other gangs but from policemen as well. It was shocking to hear how policemen actually treated Mexicans like Luis. This book proved many times that Mexicans were treated unfairly by policemen.

I recommend this book to anyone who is interested in how gangs work and why people get involved with gangs. I found this book to be worth reading because it informed me on a subject that is rarely ever touched or talked about in school. Always Running definitely reassures me that I need to take my life for granted because not everyone can have the type of life that I do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Always Running.