Rachel at theJeepDiva's Reviews > Want

Want by Stephanie Lawton

May 07, 12

bookshelves: for-review
Read on May 06, 2012

First let me just say I do not normally read this genre but the summary from Goodreads sounded good so I thought I would give it a try. I am very glad that I decided to try new things. This book was very well written. I read it all in one day within a few hours hoping for a happy ending for the main character. I give it 5 stars.
Plot – The first couple lines of the book are as follows. “If you want vampires and werewolves, faeries, fallen angels or zombies you won’t find them here. I know a real-life monster. She drains the life out of me and tears at my flesh with words and fingernails that sink deeper than fangs ever could.” Let me tell you that those first lines in the book pretty much sum up the mother of this story. Juli is seventeen years old and wants to go to NEC to get her Masters in piano. She suffers from physical and mental abuse from her mother and her father does nothing. When her piano teacher and surrogate grandfather suffers a stroke he appoints his nephew to take over her piano lessons. I don’t want to say much more because I do not want to give away the story but it is a sad story in parts and did make me cry several times.
Characters – Juli is a strong character. She has to be to have lived with a mother like she has. She gets no support from her father. Her brother has went off to college so she pretty much has to deal with it herself. Issac is the piano teachers nephew who takes over her lessons. He seems to be an alright guy but he also has some issues. He tends to let other people’s opinions and gossip count for more than it should. By the end of the story I have to say I did not care for Issac to much as he seems quite spineless. Dave is one of Issac’s friends who also went to NEC and has graduated. He is a really nice guy and loves to flirt. Hmmm, wish I could meet him in real life. LOL.
Setting – The setting in this story is in Mobile although they do take a trip to Boston also. The gossip and people are just like living in a small town. Everyone knows everybody’s business and has to talk about it. The descriptions made you feel like you were there with her.
All in all this was a great book. The only thing I am still wondering is will Juli get a happy ending and get herself straightened out and get her guy? Also what happened to Issac? Did he bother to apologize or show his face or did he just disappear?
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Want.