JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Bloodsucking Fiends

Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore

Oct 22, 2009

bookshelves: 4_stars, z_author_american, fiction, humor, z_read_in_2009, reviewed, z_setting_us, paranormal
Read in October, 2009

Jody Stroud wakes up under a dumpster with one hand severely burnt one evening after being attacked by a stranger on the way home from work. It doesn't take her long to realize that she's become a vampire without any knowledge of the rules. It also doesn't take her long to realize that she needs a minion who is able to take care of her business during the day. Enter C. Thomas Flood, the Next Great American Writer. But strange murders follow the pair around and they end up battling the police and an older vampire.

That sounds all so very serious, doesn't it? This was actually pretty funny. I have to say that I enjoyed A Dirty Job more, but I am glad I read this.

I think part of the appeal was that I read this while I was on vacation in San Francisco, where the book takes place. So I'd read about the Transamerica Building or Chinatown or Coit Tower and it was pretty cool that I had just seen them that day.

And I'd forgotten about The Emperor! I'm glad he made an appearance, even if he does travel with a Boston Terrier. (Long story. Let's just say that I consider the breed my nemesis.)

And it's been too long since I finished for me to get any more detailed than that. If you like Moore's other work, you won't be disappointed with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodsucking Fiends.