Holly's Reviews > Never Eighteen

Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic

May 27, 12

bookshelves: young-adult-contemporary
Read from May 07 to 09, 2012

This was a very powerful novel and absolutely brilliant. I felt as if the author really worked on the craft of the writing as well. Every sentence is wittled down to the raw emotions that make this story so full of heart. As I followed Austin on his journey I laughed out loud and cried (more than a little). All sorts of teens and adults are portrayed in very real ways.

Many issues are being dealt with: grief, alcoholism, eating disorders, drugs, sexuality, cancer, first love. Austin's voice carrys us through all of these as he visits friends, ex-friends, family, acquaintances, even the kid HE used to bully in elementary school. What Austin is trying to do is help each of these people realize that they have a life to live even if they don't want to. He wants them to live, really live, because he knows that he's not going to get to live. Although his help is not always wanted and sometimes given a bit selfishly on Austin's side, he does get through to some and it is this hope that we as readers take away from this novel.

This is another book, along with 13 Reasons Why and The Fault in Our Stars, that I think everyone would benefit from reading. It is just that awesome of a book and I look forward to Megan Bostic's next book!

Also, did I mention that it's set in the Tacoma/Seattle, WA area? I love books set where I live!!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Never Eighteen.

05/07/2012 page 97
48.0% "really really good so far!"
05/07/2012 page 164
80.0% "gah almost done but have to go to the gym"
05/07/2012 page 204