Laurel Beth's Reviews > Oryx and Crake

2069076
Jun 11, 12

bookshelves: from-the-library, ebooks, hpl
Read from May 29 to June 01, 2012

Speculative fiction truly warms the cockles of my cold dead heart.

There's always going to be a point where you meet the acme in what means the most to you, and you'll stop. My sister made me a rap mix last weekend and it was at least 1/3 Soulquarian. The second song was "You Got Me", which tore me up. I think I listened to the "Come Alive" version every day for two years starting in 2001. I told my sister that inevitably I compare all hip-hop with this era. My lens is forever shaped by this moment in time - the soundtrack to me becoming beautiful and glacial. Unrepentant and cushioned in neosoul.

Which is to say that I have similar standards for the failed utopia narrative. I read "The Giver" over and over, starting in third grade and continuing on for many formative years. All I wanted was to figure it out, uncover the secret truth. I felt cheated that it ended as they push off the crest, sledging towards Bethlehem. As it turns out Lois Lowry wrote sequels starting at the same time as my Soulquarian immersion. Understandably, I have no interest in reading them.

It's not just nostalgia, but it is how I read Oryx and Crake in three sessions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oryx and Crake.