Becky's Reviews > Arena One: Slaverunners

Arena One by Morgan Rice

May 10, 2012

it was ok
Read from May 07 to 08, 2012

Take the Hunger Games and Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome and mix together and you have this book. Seems like you would have an incredible book. I LOVED Mad Max and the Hunger Games. So why didn't I love this book?

I think it boils down to 2 main reasons. First, some of the details were just so drawn out. I read this as a ebook so I can't tell you exactly how many pages but it seemed like it must have been 20 or so pages devoted to a car chase. After a while, you know what I did, I just started flipping pages and would read a paragraph and I really hadn't missed anything. Why so long? And this was a problem throughout the book. I skipped lots in the book because I was bored.

Second, the plot was completely predictable. It is like the author just combined the story lines of two good previous works without doing anything original with them. And then changed the characters to make them more flat. What I love about HG and MM is that you fall in love with these characters. You want the best for them and you want to see them succeed. They become your friends. Not so in this book. These characters are just thrown in there and not developed. Some of them we never even learn their names and none of the other characters care that we don't know their names. I guess the characters is a third reason for not liking this book;)

I will not read the next book in this series and I am sorry I spent the time reading this one. And why did my library pick to buy this one as an ebook instead of a great book like Fear by Micheal Grant? I mus find out who is in charge of picking ebooks...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Arena One.