Kris Irvin's Reviews > Beauty Queens

1940795
Jun 24, 12

bookshelves: 2012, bad-books, didn-t-finish
Read on June 24, 2012

Made it halfway through and am stopping. I know this puts me in the minority, but I have no desire to read about lesbian lovin' and teenage girls having sex with eco-warriors and the other sexcapades going on in this book.

I was mildly impressed with the humor, but it got old fast. It's almost like Libba Bray was all "hey, this sounds zany! BUT THIS COULD MAKE IT ZANIER!" 90,000 times throughout the novel. Most of it was eye-roll-inducing, bordering on downright irritating.

The characters, in Bray's zeal to make them appealing to different demographics, are all very flat, shallow, and eerily similar despite that they are supposed to be Extremely Different With Differences(!!) The only part that made me giggle was The Corporation's Recall Notice for their 447 guns (to receive a replacement, go to the website and type code OHCRAP447.) Snerklol.

I enjoyed Bray's Great and Terrible books (well, what I read of them, which in full disclosure was just the first book.) But this is too much. It's too graphic for me, and too graphic for YA in general. And it's also just dumb.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.