Teresa's Reviews > Finding Fernanda: Two Mothers, One Child, and a Cross-Border Search for Truth

Finding Fernanda by Erin Siegal

Jun 04, 12

Read from June 03 to 04, 2012

Excellent non-fiction book about international adoption between Guatemala and US. The core story is heartbreaking and shocking. The women, especially Betsy, the US adopting mother, Mildred, the Guatemalan mother, and Norma Cruz, are inspiring. A large portion of the book involves confusing descriptions of how different entities are linked to other entities and how the corruption cycle works between each--and sometimes I wanted to skip over paragraphs because of this, but the human part of the story is heart-gripping. I have seen a few documentaries on this issue and am completely sickened that some adoption agencies take part in these practices. A complex issue tied to proverty, I hope this book enlightens and informs as many readers as possible and encourages more donations to self-sustaining programs that empower women in Guatemala. Thank you Norma Cruz and Betsy Emanuel for your tenaciousness. Thank you Erin Seigel for an important and brave book. Thank you Mildred Alvarado for showing the light and love of a mother's fierce love. My heart goes out to the Alvarado family. I wish them a long life of love and laughter.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Fernanda.