Kathy 's Reviews > When in Doubt, Add Butter

When in Doubt, Add Butter by Beth Harbison

F_50x66
Jun 13, 12

Read in May, 2012

This is a goodreads winner book for me. This is a good chicklit book. However, the plot of the book was rather thin and very predictable. The story concerns Genna Craig, a personal chef, and her interactions with her customers over a period of time. The descriptions and interactions with the customers was interesting, but not nearly as well done as they could have been. More descriptions and discussions with them would have added to the book, I think. As it stands, I found it difficult to appreciate (and still do) how the author could have dragged the story on for 300+ pages the way it is. In particular, I would have enjoyed more about the customer interactions, more about her experiences with them, etc. I never did get a full picture of the type persons they were or why they were employing a personal chef. There certainly was enough in the little the author did present to see something quite interesting and enjoyable in the customers and her interactions with them, to add to the book. For the couple of customers the author did spend some time on, from Mr. Tuesday to the terrible Angela, the discriptions and/or interactions fell far short of being in-depth enough to truly understand and appreciate the character. Instead of focusing on her customers, the author spent a lot of time on Gemma's cousin and her interactions, which really didn't add very much to the story or plot and which was not crafted well enough to really make it an integral part of the story. The author could, in my opinion, have done far to skip her or make her less prominent and focus on the customers and Gemma's interactions with them instead. Finally, I think the story line could have flowed better and more smoothly if the author had not tried to put so much into it and kept the story line cleaner. Bringing in all Gemma's past was helpful, but it all wasn't quite tied together well enough. Nevertheless, I would recommend the book to anyone who is looking for a quick summer read to take to the beach or resort. This is one book that provides light reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When in Doubt, Add Butter.