Gemini Adams's Reviews > Something Startling Happens: The 120 Story Beats Every Writer Needs to Know

Something Startling Happens by Todd Klick

May 07, 12

Read in May, 2012

Now I'm not a screenwriter but I am an author and as a writer I am always on the lookout for books that will contribute to my writing arsenal, and for helpful tools to share with the other writers I teach. Having been handed a copy of this book by a friend it sat on my bedside table for a month, mainly because I was too busy writing! When I finally picked it up I was engrossed.

Despite not being a screenwriter, and, perhaps, therefore having a different perspective, I can boldly say that this book is not solely for those looking to craft their writing skills for screen. Although the book is broken down minute-by-minute, I imagine you could easily apply the emotion-inducing techniques to a play, novel, comedy or even a webisode.

The book does tend to focus on drama's/thrillers with a scattering of comedic examples. My advice is if you are writing a fiction anything, then get yourself a copy of this book. It gently takes you out of the head of the writer and into the mind of the audience, which, in my opinion, is exactly where you should be focused when you are writing. Todd's book is a fantastic contribution to the world of writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something Startling Happens.