Lauraloves's Reviews > A Flicker of Light

A Flicker of Light by Roberta Kagan

U 50x66
May 07, 12

Read in May, 2012

I downloaded this book as it was free for a day on Amazon and Nazi Germany is a subject that i am interested in. I had never heard of The Lebensborn program and to me this was really horrible thing to have ever happened.

This book is about Petra who escapes the Lebensborn programme despite being a fair few months pregnant. She goes through the German countryside in the hope of being able to find her way home, but ends up at a farmhouse where a couple have never been able to have children. They take her in and start to live as a family.

Meanwhile, a young doctors apprentice, finds his life falling apart when the persecution of the Jewish people began. He has to leave his home with the fear of being caught and he also has to try and find somewhere safe. He comes across the same farm that Petra is living and from here on in its when the trouble starts.

This book goes into detail of how cruel the SS officers were at times and one of the scenes in this book is very disturbing, it was very difficult reading but I'm sure that this kind of event actually happened. Also the scenes of the concentration camps were described in great detail which at times was quite difficult reading.

I did think that the book moved along a little too smoothly, for example when Petra turned up at the farm, she didnt really seem to be bothered about staying there and this was just accepted.

Overall a very good book, one for fans of historical fiction, this was good.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Flicker of Light.