Melissa McHugh's Reviews > Thief of Shadows

Thief of Shadows by Elizabeth Hoyt

Jul 03, 12

Read from June 25 to 28, 2012

So I reread this book just to be sure I didn't imagine how awesome it was in a fit of sleepiness. I didn't. It really is awesome. Winter is such an amazing hero, and I was worried, throughout the first three books in the series that there no way Elizabeth Hoyt was going to write a story or create a heroine that could live up to the depths of awesome I felt like Winter was capable of. I should have trusted her.

Isabel is all kinds of fun and she gets Winter from the first page of the book. In fact, I think she gets Winter from the last few chapters of Silence's book, the previous entry in the series. She never lets Winter get away with anything, and it's vice versa. Even though she's six years older than him, impossibly richer and higher in station, and he is much more moral and dedicated to goodness, there is an amazing sense of equality between them that is incredibly fascinating.

The story itself is always cool. I love reading about St. Giles. I went to London last year and was kind of sad to learn that the neighborhood itself is gone, but not really. It was, from all accounts a cesspool. It's still there in name, but obviously, London has improved on it. I am fascinated by London, and while it's fun to read about the aristocracy, I'm even more intrigued by the world Elizabeth Hoyt has explored in her Maiden Lane series and the Georgian period.

Just an amazing book by an author who just continues to outdo herself.

Edited because I have problems with spelling when I get all excited. Yikes. I used incredibility instead of incredibly which are obviously two different things.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thief of Shadows.

06/25/2012 "Elizabeth Hoyt day!!!"
06/28/2012
75.0% "Rereading to make sure my initial impression was based on sleepiness. Um, turns out I underestimated the awesomeness." 24 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Huma Rashid OMG THIS IS OUT ALREADY. YAY WINTER! :D I must make sure to get my hands on a copy!

message 2: by Melissa (last edited Jun 26, 2012 10:02AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa McHugh I preordered it and it downloaded shortly after midnight. I read about half of it before I went to bed around 2 and then the rest of it when I woke up. I really liked it, but I was really tired when I went to bed, so I want to reread it when I'm more conscious before I rate it. But my first impressions are favorable -- Winter lives up to the expectations. It's at least a 4.

Huma Rashid Melissa wrote: "I preordered it and it downloaded shortly after midnight. I read about half of it before I went to bed around 2 and then the rest of it when I woke up. I really liked it, but I was really tired whe..."

I'm so glad. :D I will probably order off Amazon Prime so it'll get here in a day or two, or see if my rich-ass local library has extra copies. They probably do. They order a crap ton of EVERYTHING. It's great.

message 4: by Melissa (last edited Jun 26, 2012 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melissa McHugh Lucky! My library belongs to an ebook group with a bunch of other libraries, so there's always a huge waiting list even if we get new books, but they never got romance authors unless they're Nora Roberts or Nicholas Sparks. And we never get them in print, because it's a small library. Thank god for my Nook.

I'm going to reread it tomorrow when I have some time, I'm working on a writing project today, I started writing again for the first time in like five years, but it's like straight fiction which is so weird, heh. And I still have to finish Italian homework.