Ruben Ag's Reviews > So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish by Douglas Adams

Jun 15, 12

Recommended for: Young adult fiction lovers.
Read from May 07 to 15, 2012, read count: 1

** spoiler alert ** The book was rather entertaining, however I found it -as with Douglas' previous books- rather, unfinished. I'm aware that this is only the fourth book of the trilogy and that it shouldn't feel done, but it should at least give something to the reader. Douglas is an incredibly fun narrator, but as I just said, I feel he doesn't ever give you proper closure, just vestiges of it. Resolutions that he promptly forgets when starting his new book.

I found God's Final Message to His Creation to be quite bland, and this happens quite often when reading Douglas. I understand where he's coming from, and I appreciate the way he thinks, but it's most certainly not what I would have liked to read. I expected something grand, something that could perhaps enrich my life but instead I get: "we apologise for the inconvenience".

Zaphod and Trillian are barely even mentioned here, and Fenchurch seems almost like a Deus Ex Machina- albeit a rather lovable one. On Fenchurch: I don't know if it speaks greatly of Douglas that he managed to make her much more deeper and interesting in one book than Trillian ever was over three books.

However it can't ever be ignored that Douglas was perhaps not setting out to write deeply true and life changing philosophical statements. Perhaps his way of imparting a worthwhile message is through his fun and illogical writing. Perhaps his relaxed view of the universe is what's worth getting out of this book. The notion that perhaps we worry too much, and that we need to just, once in a while, lean back and say -when asked, what happened?- "just life."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish.

05/07/2012 page 20