Spoust1's Reviews > Less Than Nothing: Hegel and the Shadow of Dialectical Materialism

Less Than Nothing by Slavoj Žižek

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: psychoanalysis, marx-and-marxism, german-idealism
Read from May 07 to June 06, 2012

Thorough, substantive review pending. In the meantime, I'll say:

Žižek's masterpiece. His most focused book: there's a clear narrative thread that realizes itself through all the meandering -- what is contingent turns out, after the fact, to be reaalizing an inner necessity. Those of us who've followed his work know that this is the case with (almost) everything he writes; but here the drive to realize unity, what he is trying to say, his truth, through his most diverse array of sources and references and observations -- this is here more than in any other book.

At times brilliantly original, particularly in the latter half of the Hegel section. I loved the Absolute Knowing chapter. The conclusion is on par with his best political writings (First as Tragedy, Violence, etc.). Where it is not so original (the Lacan chapters), it nevertheless recapitulates his best arguments.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Less Than Nothing.

message 1: by Naeem (new)

Naeem I will want your recommendation on this one, please.

Spoust1 Absolutely. It'll be a while, though, because it's over 1,000 pages and I'm reading some other books at the same time.

I have high expectations for it. He thinks it's his masterpiece.