Katie Stout's Reviews > The Assassin's Curse

The Assassin's Curse by Cassandra Rose Clarke

Aug 29, 12

bookshelves: cover-love, from-publisher-for-review, high-fantasy, angry-robot
Read from May 27 to 29, 2012

This book has been making the rounds much more than I would have thought, considering it's published by a new indie publisher. But honestly, The Assassin's Curse is one of the best debuts I've read all year.

I've been saying for quite a while that what YA needs more of is pirates. There just really aren't that many. And I mean, come on. Who doesn't love a good pirate?

And the pirates in Ms. Clarke's book are epic. Think Pirates of the Caribbean #3, with all the different pirate lords getting together. Our MC Ananna is the daughter of one of these pirate lords, and she's about to get married off to the son of another pirate lord. Too bad she's not much into arranged marriages.

I really liked Ananna because she's spunky and feisty, but she also had genuine fears and weaknesses. I don't like a lot of kickbutt heroines because I feel like they turn into Wonder Woman, and who wants to read about that? But Ananna could kick butt AND she had personality.

*cue "Hallelujah Chorus"*

I also really liked Naji, although he falls into the category of mysterious, brooding boy. But, y'all. He's a freaking NINJA!

Why has no one thought to mix pirates and ninjas in a YA book before?! It's like the quintessential question: which is better? Cassandra Rose Clarke answers with, "Who the eff cares?! I used them both!"

This story was just so original. And the worldbuilding was AWESOME. I tried to figure out what sort of folklore she could have used to base her world in, but I totally gave up. It's like a mixture of Arabian Nights and "Pirates of the Caribbean"...with Japanese ninjas. There are also some rather steampunk elements in the story, thrown in for good measure.

Yeah, mind = blown.

The adventure took prominence over the romance, as well, which was refreshing. Ananna and Naji sort of hate each other at the beginning of the book, so I was worried that the relationship between them wouldn't be developed very well. But it's actually very slow, which was great. I also liked that the love triangle was opposite from what we're used to: there were two girls vying for one boy.

At first, I thought this was going to be a standalone book and I was sort of pissed. The ending is a definite cliffhanger, and I REALLY want to know what happens next. But it's since then been announced that this is the first in a series, so YAY!

This is a book like no other YA book I've ever read, and I'm really hoping that it'll start a new trend. Please bring more pirates into YA! And ninjas! And Aladdin-esque settings!

We shall all thank you. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Assassin's Curse.

05/27/2012 page 205
49.0% "I am OBSESSED with this worldbuilding! This is definitely a place I wish I could live in!" 2 comments
05/29/2012 page 300
72.0% "Gonna finish this one today! Really impressed with this debut author!" 1 comment

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Erica (daydreamer) Completely agree. About the cover and the must read.

Katie Stout Erica (daydreamer) wrote: "Completely agree. About the cover and the must read."

I emailed the author and she said she'd send me a review copy. I am SO excited!!!!

Erica (daydreamer) Ah, lucky! I hope it's as fantastic as it sounds.

Amanda There is another book coming ;-) It's called The Pirate's Wish and will be released next year!

Katie Stout Amanda wrote: "There is another book coming ;-) It's called The Pirate's Wish and will be released next year!"

Whew! Good! :-)

message 6: by Riya (new) - added it

Riya Yes - more pirates in YA literature, I like that idea.

Great review. Im looking forward to reading this book.

Lisa I totally agree about MOAR PIRATES!

Sophia I am with you all. PIRATES in YA is definetly something I'd like to see more of. And a believable love story that will take more than one book to develop? I'm in love!

Kennia I'm looking for more YA pirate books! Is there any you've read besides this one? I read Assassin's Curse and loved it but now I want more!

I'm open to adult pirate themed books too :)

message 10: by Alycia (new)

Alycia Kennia- have you read the Bloody Jack series? Loaded with pirates! :)

Kennia Alycia: I have not yet! Thank you for the recommendation! I am for sure gonna look into it :)

message 12: by Alycia (new)

Alycia You're welcome!