Jim's Reviews > Camera Obscura

Camera Obscura by Rosanne Dingli

May 25, 12

Read in April, 2012

Rosanne Dingli has provided us with an intense, fun and complex mystery. Labeling it a mystery may do it injustice. While there is a measure of who-done-it involved, the deeper conflict and relationship that develops between Bart and Minnie is what makes this country-hopping story of intrigue really work.

From the opening scene, you are pulled into the relationship that doesn't yet exist between these two main characters. Just when you thought you were getting a glossed over and convenient set-up, you begin to experience the internal struggles felt by the photo-journalist, Bart.

The emotional power of blind love, or is it lust, propels the mystery forward even before a mystery reveals itself. Effective storytelling from Bart's point of view engages you in this one sided viewpoint, never peeking into the real intentions of Minnie.

Set in the intrigue of the art theft world, Bart finds himself on a soul-searching journey. The struggle to discover who he really is intertwines with the emotion that grips him as he desires for something out of his reach.

This fast-paced romp through Australia, France and Malta, puts the reader in the shoes of our main character. Dingli does an excellent job of taking the reader to places they may never have experienced, surrounding them with the sounds and feelings of these different locales.

The climatic ending is satisfying, yet keeps the door open for more. This is the first novel I've read by Dingli and I'll definitely be looking for more.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Camera Obscura.