Baba ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter's Reviews > The Duchess War

The Duchess War by Courtney Milan

Photobucket

I’m not sure if I can convey my feelings into words right now but I’ll be trying anyway. It goes without saying that I’ve had extremely high expectations. Unfortunately, though, The Duchess War will go down in history as a slight disappointment—to put it mildly. Some parts I loved, some I liked and some…not at all. Up until to the 70 % mark I really thought that The Duchess War would work out for me. Hope dies last after all. With this end in mind I felt totally underwhelmed throughout the next 22 % of the story. I’m not someone who beats around the bush, it was flat out depressing and a huge disappointment. Then we've had 3 % of happy and...that's it. The End at 95 %.

I completely understand that an author has to use conflicts to develop a story, however, when the already very dry plot is littered with conflicts it becomes utterly oppressive. Reading HR (emphasis on romance and I mean romance not sex) must be a pleasure. I want to indulge myself in lush writing, great dialogue and banter, wonderful and charming characters. I want to see the sparks fly. I want to feel the chemistry. Also, I’m fine by dealing with a conflict as long as I can see a resolution as well as a continuous (happy) development of the MCs relationship. But instead of offering a resolution once and for all there is another conflict, more pain, more problems, more heartbreak. Sadly, reading The Duchess War was not a joy, it was a task.

The hero was too bland and insecure to charm his way into my heart and the heroine, which I initially really liked a lot, proved me wrong when she allowed herself (view spoiler) In addition I would have loved to see so much more interaction between H/h. If anything, the numerous secondary characters were all over the place. The first sex scene at 71 % (I can’t call it a love scene) was incredibly embarrassing. In conclusion, a (view spoiler) To be honest, there was nothing glorious or delicious about the sex scenes. If anything, they were awful and stood in stark contrast to the overall excellent writing.

I regret bygone times because The Duchess War can’t hold a candle to Unraveled or Unveiled (my favorite CM book).

In hindsight I’d go so far and label The Duchess War as historical fiction. Where was the romance? Sadly, there was nothing romantic about the story, the characters or their almost non-existent “relationship”. If The Duchess War is Ms. Milan’s prime example of what readers can expect from now on, then I am awfully sorry to say that I’ll pass.

Steam: 2 / Chemistry: 1 / Sensuality: 1 to 2

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess War.

12/08/2012
0.0% " Photobucket
I'm looking forward to reading it. Let this be good!" 16 comments
12/09/2012
20.0% " Photobucket
"You don't miss much, do you? I can't believe Gardley called you a rodent. You're the most formidable mouse I've ever met." :D"
12/09/2012
35.0% " Photobucket
You could be more. She couldn't think logically. She couldn't analyze. She could think of nothing but her hunger. Not fast-paced but good so far!"
12/10/2012
55.0% " Photobucket
"This," he whispered, in a solemn voice, "is where I'd say something exceedingly clever, had my brains not been turned to paste." Loved the "paste" scene!" 6 comments
12/10/2012
70.0% " Photobucket
"I thought," he said as his blood rushed south, "that I'd spend the remainder of the evening ravishing you." Finally." 10 comments

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Wow! I love this pic!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Becky wrote: "Wow! I love this pic!!"

Thanks, Becky. :)

message 3: by Glamdring (new)

Glamdring Enjoy, Baba! :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Glamdring wrote: "Enjoy, Baba! :)"

Thanks, Glamdring, will do!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Oh, pretty pic! Always love your pictures, Baba.

message 6: by Gina (new)

Gina love this picture!!!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Kelly wrote: "Oh, pretty pic! Always love your pictures, Baba."

Thanks, Kelly. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Gina wrote: "love this picture!!!"

Yeah, me too, Gina. Thanks! :)

message 9: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Aww, I want to cuddle her :(

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Shelley wrote: "Aww, I want to cuddle her :("

You want to cuddle her, Shell, but there is a sad face?

message 11: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Baba wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Aww, I want to cuddle her :("

You want to cuddle her, Shell, but there is a sad face?"

She looks so sad B, and it makes me sad. You cry, I cry...it is the natural way of a mother is it not?

message 12: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla Pretty pic!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Shelley wrote: "Baba wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Aww, I want to cuddle her :("

You want to cuddle her, Shell, but there is a sad face?"

Ah, you mean the girl, Shell. Yes, she looks sad and needs to be cuddled. :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Karla wrote: "Pretty pic!"

Thanks, Karla. Dunno if it's actually appropriate (the gown etc.) but it was so beautiful that I wanted to add it. :)

message 15: by Sanaa (new)

Sanaa Well after reading this review, I'm gonna take it off my tbr. If you didn't like it I'm not gonna even waste my time. Thanks Baba!

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Terrific review, Baba! Your criticism is valid. Maybe the next book will be better. Sebastian seems a promising hero. Not sure about Oliver. : /

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Sanaa wrote: "Well after reading this review, I'm gonna take it off my tbr. If you didn't like it I'm not gonna even waste my time. Thanks Baba!"

Sanaa, you should reconsider your decision. There are many readers who loved it.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Anna (Bobs Her Hair) wrote: "Terrific review, Baba! Your criticism is valid. Maybe the next book will be better. Sebastian seems a promising hero. Not sure about Oliver. : /"

Thanks, Anna. Funny thing is I thought the same, my dear. Well, maybe I am intrigued by Sebastian's name. Malheur is French and means bad luck / misfortune.

message 19: by Sanaa (last edited Dec 11, 2012 08:33AM) (new)

Sanaa Baba wrote: "Sanaa wrote: "Well after reading this review, I'm gonna take it off my tbr. If you didn't like it I'm not gonna even waste my time. Thanks Baba!"

Sanaa, you should reconsider your decision. There ..."

When it comes to HR books, your ratings are similar to mine, so I probably would agree with your assessments :) definitely planning on reading Unveiled.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Sanaa wrote: "Baba wrote: "Sanaa wrote: "Well after reading this review, I'm gonna take it off my tbr. If you didn't like it I'm not gonna even waste my time. Thanks Baba!"

Sanaa, you should reconsider your dec..."

Ok, I see. :)

Anna (Bobs Her Hair) Baba wrote: "Anna (Bobs Her Hair) wrote: "Terrific review, Baba! Your criticism is valid. Maybe the next book will be better. Sebastian seems a promising hero. Not sure about Oliver. : /"

Thanks, Anna. Fun..."

Sebastian and Minnie would have been a lively match. I wonder what kind of bad luck he'll have?

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Anna (Bobs Her Hair) wrote: "Baba wrote: "Anna (Bobs Her Hair) wrote: "Terrific review, Baba! Your criticism is valid. Maybe the next book will be better. Sebastian seems a promising hero. Not sure about Oliver. : /"

Than..."

He is an interesting character, that's for sure. I *think* I'll give his story a try. Can't hurt to have a look. :)

message 23: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous great review baba! removing it from tbr pile :D

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Vishous wrote: "great review baba! removing it from tbr pile :D"

Thanks, V. I have to repeat myself. Other readers have enjoyed this one, V, although I just exchanged a couple of comments with one of my friends who felt the same way. Well, different strokes for different folks. :)

message 25: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous Baba wrote: "Vishous wrote: "great review baba! removing it from tbr pile :D"

nah, i'll remove it... your spoiler about (view spoiler) was enough for me :D

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Vishous wrote: "Baba wrote: "Vishous wrote: "great review baba! removing it from tbr pile :D"

Lol Yeah, it was just too much.

message 27: by Vishous (new) - added it

Vishous Baba wrote: "Lol Yeah, it was just too much."

i have YA for that :D

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Vishous wrote: "Baba wrote: "Lol Yeah, it was just too much."

i have YA for that :D"

Spare me please. :D

Rain ~miss kinky knickers~ Great review, babe! Too bad it was a disappointment for you, though.
I've been waiting to read this one for forever, and now... ugh! I guess I'll give it a chance at some point. What can I say? I'm such a masochist sometimes. :)

message 30: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Great review, B! I'm so sorry it was disappointment, though, sweets.

message 31: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Great honest review B! I'm sorry it didn't work out for you this time.

message 32: by Ilhem (last edited Dec 11, 2012 09:50AM) (new)

Ilhem The "finally" wasn't a good sign, finally.:(

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Rain wrote: "Great review, babe! Too bad it was a disappointment for you, though.

Thanks, babe! :)
I *think* you should give it a try. Who knows maybe you'll end up loving it. I have read a couple of great CM books but this one did not deliver. Unfortunately.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Kelly wrote: "Great review, B! I'm so sorry it was disappointment, though, sweets."

Thanks, sweets. On to the next one, right? :)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Shelley wrote: "Great honest review B! I'm sorry it didn't work out for you this time."

Thanks, Shell!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Oh. Dear. Khm I read some of your spoilers and... BOTH??? Seriously? Hmmm. Sorry this one didn't work out for you Baba. Great and honest review!

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Ilhem wrote: "The "finally" wasn't a good sign, finally.:("

I didn't knew that at the time, Ilhem. But you are right. It was not a good sign. :(

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Blacky wrote: "Oh. Dear. Khm I read some of your spoilers and... BOTH??? Seriously? Hmmm. Sorry this one didn't work out for you Baba. Great and honest review!"

Thanks, Blacky. Yeah, both. Well...hmmmm...indeed. :)

message 39: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Baba wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Great review, B! I'm so sorry it was disappointment, though, sweets."

Thanks, sweets. On to the next one, right? :)"

Absolutely! I just read the blurb for your next one, B. It sounds pretty intense, but interesting, that's for sure. Hope it's a winner! : )

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Kelly wrote: "Baba wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Great review, B! I'm so sorry it was disappointment, though, sweets."

Thanks, sweets. On to the next one, right? :)"

Absolutely! I just read the blurb for your next one..."

Yep, hope so too. I've downloaded it ages ago already and I was in the mood...or some such. :D

message 41: by Glamdring (new)

Glamdring Great review, Baba! Hopefully you'll like the next better.

message 42: by Jill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jill Sorry it was a disappointment for you, Baba. For me, The Duchess War was everything that I look for in a historical romance.

Plenty of authors of HR out there though to please us all.

Letitia Oh no! Didn't expect 3 stars. I'm halfway through, but I understand what you're saying.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Glamdring wrote: "Great review, Baba! Hopefully you'll like the next better."

Thanks, Glamdring. Yeah, I *think* I'll be giving the next one in this series a try.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter @Jill
Yes, it happens.

For me, The Duchess War was everything that I look for in a historical romance.

Glad it worked out for you Jill. But for me, The Duchess War was so not everything I look for in a HR.

Plenty of authors of HR out there though to please us all.

That's very true.

Cristina Great review Baba! Not sure if I want to waste my time with this one ;)

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Letitia wrote: "Oh no! Didn't expect 3 stars. I'm halfway through, but I understand what you're saying."

I really thought I would be blown away by this book. Unfortunately it didn't happen. Hope you're enjoying it more though.

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Dean, Tate, Dan, Ty & Hunter Cristina wrote: "Great review Baba! Not sure if I want to waste my time with this one ;)"

Thanks! I am the minority, Cristina. You will have to read it to be sure which side you're on.

message 49: by Richa (new) - added it

Richa Great and honest review, Baba!! (as usual! :P) Sorry this one didn't work out that well for you. From the updates it seemed things were going really well...ah..well, hopefully the next HR will be more enjoyable!! :))

Erika Awesome review Baba! Well... you already know how I felt about the book. I really hope the next book will be much, much better.

« previous 1