Rio (Lynne)'s Reviews > Four Sisters, All Queens

Jul 03, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read from June 24 to July 06, 2012

Sherry Jones takes on the intricate story of four sisters from Provence who become Queens in the 13th century. Marguerite, Queen of France. Eleonore, Queen of England, Sanchia, Queen of Germany and Beatrice, Queen of Sicily. After reading Penman's Falls the Shadow, I wanted to learn more about Eleonore. When the The Sister Queens came out I was excited. Sadly, it was pure fluff. Then I saw Jones' version and was hoping for more grit and history. The book started a little slow for me. Instead of just showing us the actions of the characters, Jones added dialogue to show us how tough they were. Example, their Mom kept calling them her sons, because they were raised to be educated and to be queens. Most HF fans know how rare education was for women, especially in the 13th century, so we could tell by their actions they weren't weak. After Eleonore marries Henry, I see this isn't going to be the boring, ridiculous love story like the Sister Queens where Henry paints Eleonore's room at The Tower of London with flowers. Jones gives us the real story. We see how her family (the foreigners) cause tension taking land and titles. Jones' takes us through the Simon de Montfort years and how the people hated Eleonore. With Marguerite, we see what a fanatic Louis was with Christianity. How his mother Blanche made her life hell and didn't let her fully be the Queen of France. Beatrice marries Louis' brother Charles and Jones takes us through the Crusades. I won't tell you a lot due to spoiler alerts, but the war in Damietta was my favorite. Back in England Sanchia marries Richard. She is the weakest of the sisters and even though there isn't much known about her except the basics, I feel Jones take on Sanchia was believable. If you want to learn about the sisters, this book overall is pretty accurate. Taking on the sister's tale couldn't have been an easy task. Lots of history for a book, but I believe Jones did a great job covering the important marks. I also enjoyed the humor surrounding Louis IX and his "Saintly" missions (all true by the way.) My only complaints where how at times Marguerite seemed too modern. I wasn't there, but I believe even though she had animosity towards Blanche and Louis over their extremism on religion, I'm sure she was just as Catholic. Secondly, there were no author's notes.
Marguerite
Eleonore
Sanchia and Richard
Beatrice
Photobucket

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Four Sisters, All Queens.

06/24/2012 page 11
3.0% "The mother keeps calling her daughters her sons. Kind of odd, even though I get the author is trying to show how she is raising them to be tough and highly educated. Just rubs me weird." 6 comments
06/24/2012 page 15
3.0% 2 comments
07/02/2012 page 27
6.0% "As Marguerite tries to introduce her uncles to her new mother in law, Blanche, The Dowager Queen, Blanche responds "I've already met one country bumpkin today (meaning poor Marguerite.) I feel a long road coming on between new mother in law and daughter."
07/02/2012 page 74
17.0% "I remember nothing about Joan of Ponthieu in The Sister Queens."
07/02/2012 page 111
26.0% "Hahha....The Crown of The Thorns."
07/02/2012 page 174
40.0% "Beatrice's turn." 4 comments
07/03/2012 page 215
50.0% "Beatrice quotes on Louis believing he is the second coming of Christ. "How disappointing for Louis. He finds himself walking in the waves, not on them." LOL"
07/05/2012 page 288
66.0% "I'm enjoying this book, especially the scenes where Marguerite was dealing with the Egyptian Queen, but I feel there are times when some of the ladies seem too modernized. Just my opinion."
07/06/2012 page 332
76.0% "I hope to wrap this up tonight, if I can stay awake,"
show 4 hidden updates…

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-17 of 17) </span> <span class="smallText">(17 new)</span>

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Love your review Rio! Nice pic's too,I now look forward to reading this. Thanks:)

Rio (Lynne) It flowed great. Another feat considering there are 4 main characters.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Good to know, as I gave up waiting for the library and bought it. So Rio...I couldnt find the thread reguarding Showdown by Tilly BagshaweI got it at the library today and started in on it,and also read some reviews. Can you remember as one reviewer said the two main characters..ahem..excuse me "bang everyone but each other" is this so? If so I dont want to waste my time.Im a one man one woman,not into "pass around polly types" and then nothing happens till the end that they get together.

Rio (Lynne) Not that I remember? If I remember correctly she was young when she met him and it did take time for them to get together, but it was never like people messing around for the sake of messing around.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Rio (Lynne) wrote: "Not that I remember? If I remember correctly she was young when she met him and it did take time for them to get together, but it was never like people messing around for the sake of messing around."

Hmmm..it seems like only one reviewer claimed this..so III keep going and see how it goes.

Rio (Lynne) I read this a few years ago, before I got into HF. I remember loving it and not wanting it to end. I'm sure I'd still enjoy Showdown today. Since you got it from the library, if you don't like it, then no harm right? You might enjoy reading about a horseman instead of a Pirate :)

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Rio (Lynne) wrote: "I read this a few years ago, before I got into HF. I remember loving it and not wanting it to end. I'm sure I'd still enjoy Showdown today. Since you got it from the library, if you don't like it, ..."

Nay..always a swashbuckling pirate for this wench:D

Sherry Rio (Lynne), this is such a detailed review, and the pix are a great touch! I noticed all your updates as you read, too. Your love for reading comes through on this site in a big way. I am so glad you chose my book to read and talk about here.

I am enjoying discussing this book with you in the Historical Fictionistas group -- now you've given me fodder for more conversation about it, and you've also made me vow to include a full-disclosure author's note in every HF book I write in the future.

AND I am just tickled that Four Sisters, All Queens by Sherry Jones made you laugh. Not everything has to be so serious all the time, does it? ;)

message 9: by Anna (new)

Anna Good review Rio, love the additon of the pics. Think I'll bump this book up my list.

Jemidar I'm ready to go when you are Anna :-).

message 11: by Iset (new)

Iset :) Love your review, Rio.

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* Jemidar wrote: "I'm ready to go when you are Anna :-)."

Is this being read in one of our groups Jemidar that I missed?

Jemidar Not that I know of. Anna and I have it marked down as a buddy read.

message 14: by Anna (new)

Anna I've just checked out the prices, and eek, the cheapest I can find is around the £9 mark. I'll have to sit tight for a while yet J, sorry. Bummer.

Jemidar No worries, not like we haven't got plenty to keep us occupied in the meantime ;-).

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna Lol, yep, there are one or two more to go yet....!

Rio (Lynne) Jemidar wrote: "No worries, not like we haven't got plenty to keep us occupied in the meantime ;-)."

Exactly!