Randy's Reviews > The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D.

The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. by Nichole Bernier

May 07, 12

Nichole Bernier reminds one (in finely-wrought, clear, solid, turn-the-page prose) that in motherhood, in friendship, in marriage, there are no easy answers. None of us have one side--we are instead faceted prisms, showing a side here, a side there--and when we are lucky, we find people who we can show almost every version of ourselves. Bernier catches the rarity of those moments--and explores a grief rarely looked at; the grief of losing a friend. Wonderful book that I highly recommend.
30 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D..

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Christiane (new)

Christiane Alsop Thanks, Randy. Can't wait to read it myself.

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Dicks Loved this book! Great review!

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann I love what you said about the grief of losing a friend. That's something that's not often understood. I also love that The Unfinished Work of Elizabeth D. examines the different kinds of friendship between women, and how sometimes we offer something to our friends that even we don't know we are giving.

Elysha I found so much to relate to in this book and love what you said about the multifacetedness of life. I totally agree. Loved this book and love your review.

message 2: by Michael (new) - added it

Michael I, too, loved this book, and your review put into words why, better than I ever could!

Melissa Klug Thanks for your review of a lovely book!!!