Marmar's Reviews > One Day

One Day by David Nicholls

May 07, 12

Read in May, 2012

Wow. I am just limp after reading this book. Covering the span of twenty years and all the ups and downs - I thoroughly enjoyed tis book. I screamed for Dexter and Emma to get together while loving their dedicated friendship to one another.

I loved how they always had each other for support and saw one another through everything. I cried for Emma when Dex had a shot gun wedding. But, admired her for remaining a true friend.

Finally, they are together and things are going well for them. They're living a decent life and truly make one another happy. Emma makes Dexter tolerable and he makes her incandesantly happy. It's a match at long last made in heaven. They settle into married life and become disenchanted trying to have a baby together. But, their love is undeniable and their bond strong.

David Nicholls didn't stray away from the realities and darkness of true life. No fairytale ending here. Things were kept honest and real - Emma and Dex longed for one another for years but didn't act on things for some reason. Once finally together they were happy but, not perfect. They dealt with things in a realistic way and there is alcoholism, anger, resentment and loss along the way. Dexter becomes a decent human being and we begin rooting for him. Emma finds herself and becomes more sure and productive. These were real people that were relatable and believable.

I won't spoil the ending of the book for anyone but, be prepared to shed some tears. This book will remain on my favorites shelf.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Day.