Heidi's Reviews > Unorthodox: The Scandalous Rejection of My Hasidic Roots

Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman

F 50x66
May 07, 12

Read in April, 2012

I guess I am one of few who didn't really love this book. The writing was good and the story of the author was good. I did not particularly like the message that the author was conveying. The author wrote a memoir about her life in a Satmar Hassidic Community. Her grandparents raised her and were very strict about the traditions of being a Hassidim. Although they were strict, she was very close to them. Unfortunately, the author did not want to be restrained to the Hassidim's way of life. She followed their rules as best she could, but she always had conflicts within herself about these rules and eventually came face to the reality that she didn't want to live this way anymore. Eventually, she broke away from the community. What really bothered me was that she led you to believe that being Hassidim was a horrible life. She was embarrased to be Hassidim. I am sure there are many Hassidim people out there who are happy with their traditions and rules of their lives. Who are we to make judgement? Let people live the lives they want and if they don't want to, they can change it like the author, but to criticize the way people live, come on! Lastly, it bothered me that at the end of the book, the author had a picture of herself sitting on a bench in regular clothes, smoking a cigarette. I felt like the author was boasting about her new way of life.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unorthodox.

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Very well said

Saloma Miller You might like my memoir “Why I Left the Amish” http://www.amazon.com/Left-Amish-Salo... You can also visit my blog http://aboutamish.blogspot.com/ and my website http://salomafurlong.com/.

Tanita Well said, and felt the same way about her lat picture. The title of the book should have been: "unorthodox: I rejected my Hasidic roots so I can buy MK shades, smoke freely, wear tight skinny jeans, listen to Britney and et hit on my cute boys"

Diane I found it a quick interesting read. I'm now watching all the hassid's at the mall and commenting about which ones consider themselves more observant than the others based on their dress!