Nana's Reviews > A Rogue by Any Other Name

A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah MacLean

May 08, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance, dude-has-to-brood, friends-to-lovers, lovely-character-interactions, satisfaction
Read from May 07 to 08, 2012

There are types of books that surprise you and the ones you find you can't let go of until it's done and when it's halfway there, you realize you don't want it to finish. This is one of those books.

However I'm not going to be totally biased and say that there aren't things that didn't sit well with me, because there are. But they don't matter vitally. It doesn't ruin this enjoyable read and the happy feeling you get from reading a good book.

Quick synopsis:
We get to know Michael and Penelope who are good childhood friends. He unfortunately lost both of his parents and afterwards his generations of family fortune (and in a gamble, no less.) So he turns his back to his previous life and became the rogue we all knew here in this book. The main theme here besides love is revenge. Because of it, he's got Penelope shackled in a rushed marriage. But he rediscovers his once good heart through her and they get their HEA. Revenge loses and love wins it. Insert evil laugh. End.

Pointing this out boldly:
1. Michael might have been a jerk, but it wasn't the jfc-you-prick-gdiaf-with-this-book kind of a jerk, more like wtf-whut-r-u-doin-stoppit-bb-plz type.
Anyhow it's not as if Penelope is new to jerks. Take for example his former betrothed like the Duke of Leighton (who used her to save his sister's reputation and fell in love with someone else, leaving Penelope to suffer through gossip, making her (and people) think that maybe there was sth wrong with her if she can't make the duke stay with her etc). Point: we encounter jerky heroes and it would be sad to deny them of redemption. Besides, even in his most ass-hat moments, at least Michael cared for her happiness.

2. Penelope's an amazing woman who deserves better. Michael knows this. And this becomes one of the issues he had to deal with. But "she deserves better than me" is quite overplayed in Michael's head that there was a time I wanted to shake him. Because let's be real, Penelope is already married to him. What does it benefit to brood sfm about how better she deserves when she's already stuck with him? Enough with the self-loathing and depreciation. I resulted to saying, "get over it dude". This made me remember Julia Quinn's notes and it's hilarious how it's almost always true:

It's easy to scowl at a book and grumble, "Get over it already!" but the truth is, for most men, it's not so easy to "get over" [the sudden and premature loss of a father] In Michael's case, the land passed down from one generation to another in the Bourne family (in which, he had no one left). So I guess I get it.

What I love:
1. Penelope. We see beyond her prim facade a kind-hearted woman who's loyal to the people she cares about. Tbqh I now love Penelope more than Julianna (heroine in Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart). We get to understand both heroines in their stories and empathize with them. And like them. Although Julianna was a biatch. Truth.

2. The letters at the beginning of each chapters. We don't just get sentences of "We were friends, we tend to do this blah blah. You were so full of light and wonderful back then blah blah". We actually get a gist of how they were, how they interacted, and how healthy their relationship was before. It makes you thank the goddess of romance novels that Penelope did not end up with the Duke because her relationship with Michael is more dynamic and it brings out the best in her (I love to see Penelope like a fierce lioness.) And we see she brings out the best in him as well.

3. Penelope's father, the double Marquess. He was awesome.

What I wanted to see:
1. WHAT? No encounter with the Duke of Leighton and Julianna? And they were mentioned quite a bit in this too. There should've been a meeting at least. Then we'd see how Michael would understand what Penelope was envious of. Not the Duke, but the ~love between the Duke and Julianna. It could be a good reference point (not that Michael and Penelope rly need it). But it would've made for a great scene.

What didn't sit well with me:
1. The cheese! They were talking about pudding and it was sweet but there was cheese. All kinds of cheesiness. (view spoiler). I didn't really mind it. I sometimes like cheese, and on occasions that there's to much of it, I can be ok with it as long as it's done properly.

I put this book on hold for so long to read. Don't make the same mistake I did. This book is precious especially if you don't mind (or you love) brooding heroes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rogue by Any Other Name.

05/07/2012 page 9
2.0% "First things first: I was prepared to love this and not love this because expecting highly and not reaching it is the best biatch ever. So far as this day of body pain is concerned, warm compress, rest, and a good book (so far it is. *fingers crossed* Holy pajeeses at weakness for gamblers.) like this makes it better"
05/07/2012 page 9

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kelly22 Great review nanapie! :)

Nana Thanks Kell! I'm looking forward I can't wait for the next one in her series :}

Kelly22 LOL! I see! :P

♥Aicha~high~on~books♥ "Revenge loses and love wins it. Insert evil laugh. End." >>--->> Your evil laugh cracked me up! :P

Nana Happy to be of laughter service then! Hahaha.

You'll enjoy this more than 11 scandals (well I hope). Looking forward for YOUR review, Richa! xo

♥Aicha~high~on~books♥ I m about 1/3rd done and I m loving it!!!
:)) A book has not excited me this much in a long time...!!
Your review was great BTW. :)

KatLynne Great review Nana! I loved it too even the "cheese":)

Nana Thanks Richa and KatLynne! I think Sarah Maclean will be one of my favorite beloved authors in the long run. :D

Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter Great review, Nana! It's true it got a bit corny but I didn't mind either. It was a fabulous read!