Shauna's Reviews > Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

Wild by Cheryl Strayed

May 07, 12

Read in May, 2012

Wild, in which Cheryl Strayed took off and hiked the Pacific Coast Trail by herself... She’s an excellent writer, but she does more conveying the emotion of what she’s doing/feeling than the action of doing it. So, don’t read it expecting a less funny, Pacific-Coast-Trail-version of Bill Bryson’s A Walk in the Woods book. There’s a bit of history of the trail, and some “I kept hiking up and up and up and all my toenails fell off and oh look there’s a squirrel*” but mostly it’s about what she’s feeling and her personal history (which is quite dramatic). I wouldn’t really call it nature writing OR travel writing, but I also wouldn’t really quibble with either description.

*Ok, her writing about the trail and the animals and the other hikers is actually all really powerful – what I mean is, there’s not as much of it as there is stuff about her. Which is not necessarily a criticism.

I also learned that Cheryl Strayed is the woman behind Dear Sugar, the advice columnist at The Rumpus. She has another book coming out later this year about being Dear Sugar (or maybe it's reproduced columns, I can't quite recall).
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wild.

Emily I am listening to this right now and finding it self-indulgent, lacking insight and a little boring! I also don't have much compassion or empathy for Cheryl. What's wrong with me???!!! :P

Shauna Absolutely nothing! I agree, I thought it was a bit unnecessarily navel-gazing-y, more of an exercise for herself than anything else, but I thought her writing was still quite powerful. Is she reading it herself? I wonder if part of the problem is just the delivery (both of the narrator and the fact that it's audio rather than print).