Markella's Reviews > Burn Mark

Burn Mark by Laura Powell

Jun 15, 12

bookshelves: arc, witches, urban-fantasy
Read from May 07 to 08, 2012

“Burn Mark” follows the stories of Glory Starling Wilde and Lucas Stearne, two teenagers who are just getting their powers as witches or what’s called their Fae. The story takes place in a modern day Britain but with an urban fantasy twist; witches are common and well-known with government branches used to either contain or utilize their powers and a lot of prejudice towards them.

Glory’s and Lucas’ experiences getting their Fae are two very different ones. Glory was born into a powerful witch family and she has been eagerly anticipating her powers her whole life so she can become the head witch of her coven. Lucas is the son of a high-up Inquistor (someone who deals with policing and containing Fae powers) and it is the ultimate shame for him to get the Fae.

What I liked the best about this book was the world building. The author crafted an exemplary model of an Urban Fantasy. She easily managed to add modern elements, like current technology, with the history of witches so well that I had no problem believing that Britain doesn’t have witches walking around. Does it? Anyway, the way she wove in British history to connect with modern day witches was great.

I liked the novel’s characters too. They each had pretty distinct personalities and I liked how they interacted. Glory was an overly confident, know-it-all girl who struck me as a little ghetto. What would British people call a ghetto person? Again, anyway, Lucas was smart and funny but reckless with good intentions.

The only problem I have with the book is that I can’t really remember the plot other than Glory and Lucas dealing with getting their powers. And that was interesting enough, don’t get me wrong, but there was a larger plot about warring groups of witches but I’m at a loss about what happened. If I have to flip back, it usually means it wasn’t too strong.

The book set ups for another with a few loose ends but it’s one cohesive story that can stand on its own.
OVERALL:

I liked it. The ending leaves room for a sequel and I would definitely read that. Credit to the author for the great world building and characterization. I recommend it---7.5/10

Follow more of my reviews at: It's A Hardcover Life

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn Mark.