Lisa's Reviews > The Sweet Gum Tree

The Sweet Gum Tree by Katherine Allred

Jul 19, 12

bookshelves: loved
Read from July 17 to 18, 2012

Holy sweet, heart-breaking love story! I cannot even begin to tell you how much I enjoyed this book and the depth of the love between Nick and Alix.

My readers often ask for recommendations for a sweet love story and this would definitely be on the top of my list to fit that category! The Sweet Gum Tree made me smile, laugh and cry. It was a story of undying love, forgiveness, and redemption. It was beautiful yet tragic!

Alix is the girl from the right side of the tracks, however, she has been raised to be kind and treat others fairly so she does not give befriending Nick Anderson, the boy from the wrong side of the tracks, a second thought. I loved her ability to not care what others think. She didn’t keep her friendship with Nick a secret and did not shy away from being his friend when others made negative comments about him. It is a lesson to all of us that we cannot judge a person by where they live or who their parents are. I loved the way Alix’s family took care of Nick when he needed a place to stay, clothes or food. I became invested in her whole family and enjoyed seeing how their lives changed through the years.

Nick by all accounts had every excuse to become nothing but the boy from the wrong side of the tracks but he choose to be the man his father was not, graduate and make something of himself. He showed determination and inner strength that I envied. He cared deeply for others and often put them before himself. I only wished that he thought more highly of himself in his youth and adolescent years but I suppose after years of harsh treatment from his father, his self-esteem and worth were a little shot.

The book, not including the epilogue, covered roughly a 25 year span which in my opinion only added to the beauty of the story. It all began when Nick was ten and Alix was eight; she fixed him up with bee’s wax after a beating and she invited him to a church social and a wonderful friendship bloomed. They remained the best of friends through high school where they eventually became a little more than friends. Their long friendship just made their love all the more pure and sweet. Then it happens. Nick is faced with a decision that will bring their relationship to a screaming halt for fifteen years and I swear those fifteen years were almost as painful for me as it was for them. I can’t give away the details of his decision without spoiling some of the book but I can say some of the best parts of Nick’s personality are what ultimately led him to make this decision. Part of me loved him for it and part of me wondered what the heck he was thinking. I am a true believer that we all have one soul mate, one true love and that showed during the years that Alix and Nick were apart.

Their road back to each other is rocky and would come with more heartbreak. So many times I wanted them to be honest with each other and put an end to the assumptions and misunderstandings. It is a lesson in following your heart, being true to yourself, honesty and letting go.

If you are looking for an emotional roller coaster ride that will leave you breathless, this is the book for you. If you have not read this one, you need to SOON! Personally, I do not see how a romance lover can not fall in love with this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sweet Gum Tree.

07/18/2012
65.0% "Going on three hours of sleep because I can't put this down!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Brandie Can't wait to see what you think!

Lise *friends don't flag* So... did you like it? ;-))

Lisa I LOVED it! Such a great solid love story!

Angela Mclaurin This is one of my favorites!! Glad you liked it!! Her other books are good too. I read them all after I read this one.

♥Rachel♥ Lisa, this was an emotional rollercoaster but I ended up enjoying it. I was flipping so quickly through the pages just to see what happened next. Great review. :)

Annie Brewer Yay, this is another favorite! I compare it to The Sea of Tranquility....2 of the best books EVER!

Lisa This book was one of the sweetest things ever;)

Annie Brewer I agree! Great review by the way! :)

Sarah Just read this yesterday. LOVED it!