Kara's Reviews > A Feast of Ice and Fire: The Official Game of Thrones Companion Cookbook

A Feast of Ice and Fire by Chelsea Monroe-Cassel

Aug 24, 12

bookshelves: books-about-books, food-and-drink, blog-to-book
Read from August 21 to 24, 2012

Gorgeous.

If I had to sum up everything about this book in one word, “gorgeous” is the word I would go with.

I love the cover photography, the book design, the page layout, the word set up, the text coloring, the border designs, the food photography, and the obviously high gloss paper they chose to print the whole damned thing on. Food aside, I almost want to eat the book itself!

The book is by two fangirls who started baking and blogging and now have this amazing book with an opening by Martin himself, praising the two author/cooks for making real the food he had only imagined.

The book takes the reader by region through Martin’s epic fantasy world, pointing out just how detailed his world building is that even the food reflects the different cultures he has created in the different parts of his world.

The recipes reflect both martin’s careful world building and the painstaking research Montoe-Cassel and Lehrer did to both reflect and build on Martin medieval-esque banquets. They present recipes both in their medieval and modern versions, when they could have easily halved their work by doing just one or the other.

OK, I’m going to stop fangirling out now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast of Ice and Fire.