Robin Carter's Reviews > The Last Wish

The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

May 07, 12

bookshelves: fantasy

Whenever I watch a film or tv programme, I always have to read the synopsis first, to get a feel for what's going to happen. The same goes for the back cover description on a book. Several times (depending on the book) I might flick to the description - almost as if getting my bearings. So The Last Wish was something of a departure for me, as I knew very little about what to expect. Apparently he is a Polish "master of fantasy", this Eastern-European bestseller now finally translated into English. It has to be said that some of the meaning and 'feel' of the book has perhaps been lost in translation. It has an olde worlde fairytale feel to it, which put me in mind of sweeping gothic inages and the Brothers Grimm but not all of it seems to flow as a result of the translation, although this could of course simply be this particular author's style.

The story is written as a series of flashbacks - which can take a little getting used to - telling tales of the Witcher, Geralt. A likeable enough character, his tales of adventure make for an enjoyable read overall, and I would certainly like to know more about him. Unfortunately this books only seems to skim the surface, with a few tantalising glimpses of the past that has made him the man he is. The best way to sum it up is that I felt I was reading the middle book of a trilogy - without having read the first or last! There's a sense of coming in halfway through the story, and therefore not quite knowing what's going on, followed by a feeling of unfinished business. All of which doesn't sit well with a synopsis addict!! Overall though, an enjoyable read and I 'm certainly keen to read anything else this author publishes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Wish.