Robin Carter's Reviews > King of Kings

King of Kings by Harry Sidebottom

May 07, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction

Having taken a trawl through some of the reviews on here i am somewhat surprised at certain comments.
Ok the book is not an Iggulden, who lets face it is a natural fireside story teller, and he is not a Scarrow, who cuts straight to the action and delivers brilliantly real characters. But why do we want the same, surely we want something different, something new.
There seems to be a lot of Jump on the author for being an academic and oh no ...adding too much history to a historical fiction novel, now i for one don't want a text book when I'm reading fiction, if i want that i pick up a text book. But i want to be educated where possible, so bravo Mr Sidebottom, a book that entertains and educates, for me it was a real winner, one that i enjoyed.
Yes its a slow burner in comparison to others in the genre, but I'm happy with that and when i buy your future books (which i will be) then i will know to read them at a time that I'm in the mood for slow burn, great characters, great history, great plots, and well told tales.

Please keep it up and don't listen to those who say too much detail...just keep it tempered with the flowing blood and guts action. (Parm)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Kings.

Anthony nicely written review

Robin Carter Why thank you sir!