Natalie Shepherd's Reviews > Dear Teddy

Dear Teddy by J.D. Stockholm

May 08, 12

bookshelves: favourite
Read in May, 2012

Dear Teddy is a mixture of innocence and brutality brilliantly told from a child's perspective and in his voice. The journal of a sweet, young boy who has far from the ideal life. Dear Teddy tugs the heart strings in more ways then one as it deals with child abuse, molestation and how a child views such acts.

It makes you admire the strength and resilience children have and also the fragility of their innocence.

Not understanding what was happening to him, terrified of 'the bad man' and trusting his parents implicitly no matter what happens you just want to scoop him up and hug him.

I absolutely adored this novel, I did not stop reading it until I had reached the end. I admire JD Stockholm for his ability to tell the story from a unique point of view without really holding back.

Well written, I could see this as an actual diary of a young boy and I am sure there are, unfortunately, many people who can relate to this story.

Admittedly, I was in tears by the end of it, so I do warn you may need a box of tissues on hand.

I thought that the use of the short 4 line poems, simple in a child like manner and appropriate, was very clever and I loved reading every one of them at the beginning of the chapters.

I strongly recommend everyone read this book, not only is it written by a wonderful author but it brings awareness to a problem that should not even exist. Children are treasures, innocent and trusting like no adult ever could be. And so many are hurt by those they trust most. Dear Teddy shows that like no other book on the subject I have read has.

So please, pick up this book and take a read. Because this was based on a true story....it does happen, whether we choose to see it or not.
7 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Teddy.